Monday, March 19, 2018

PyeongChang 2018 Paralympic Games

T H E  O L Y M P I C S - something I look forward to every two years. I've always been a huge Olympics fanatic. My absolute favorite is the Summer Olympics- I can remember back when I was 4 years old being mesmerized by the gymnasts and track and field stars on TV. The winter olympics didn't grab my attention until I was a teenager, and then I realized how cool snowboarding and alpine skiing are. For the longest time, I figured that the Olympics only consisted of summer and winter games, and it wasn't until the past few Olympic Games or so when I heard about the Paralympics.

The Paralympics have been around since the 1960s, and debuted because the number of physically impaired athletes increased dramatically after WWII. This year, there were over 650 athletes who competed in the Paralympics in alpine skiing, biathlon, cross country skiing, hockey, snowboarding, and curling. The categories of athletes fall under either vision or physically impaired, and most events are divided into sitting, standing, and vision categories.

I think the Paralympic Games is an incredible way to show that just because someone is impaired or disabled, it doesn't mean they are a failure or broken. Occupational therapy relates to the Paralympic Games because just like OT, the games promote equality and individuality through the adaptability of equipment. When people watch the Paralympic Games, it makes them challenge their perspective on disability. I also think the athletes who participate in the Paralympic Games are HUGE role models for adults and children everywhere who are have physical and visual impairments. Through this, everyone can be inspired to be the best version of their self- regardless of disability. 

3 comments:

  1. I like that you mentioned, ".. the Paralympic Games is an incredible way to show that just because someone is impaired or disabled, it doesn't mean they are a failure or broken." This was really relatable to the TED Talk we watched in Neuro on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have become a huge fan of the Paralympic Games!! I think showing the world that the presence of an impairment or disability does not have to slow anyone down. These individuals are proving so many skeptics wrong by competing in these games. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paralympics are so inspiring! I did not realize it had been around since the 1960s. I feel like it grows exponentially each year. What an awesome competition to show equality and strength of athletes with disabilities.

    ReplyDelete