Thursday, May 31, 2018

Bonus Activity - Memphis Rolling Grizzlies

Memphis Rolling Grizzlies 

Image result for memphis rolling grizzlies

On May 30, 2018, my class and I attended a Memphis Rolling Grizzlies practice at the Glenview Community Center in Memphis, Tennessee. I have lived in Memphis basically my whole life, and I was totally unaware that there was a professional wheelchair basketball team in the city. Having the chance to watch these men practice a sport they loved was so inspiring and motivating. There were men of all different sizes, races, and levels of functionality. Some had suffered from spinal cord injury and were paralyzed from the waist down. Some had congenital conditions that prevented them from playing sports on a regular team. Some men were walking, and some couldn't even move their legs. Despite all these differences, these men come together weekly and transfer into their special basketball wheelchairs and do incredible things. I was utterly amazed by the strength and endurance these men possessed. I found it so inspiring that, although there were many debilitating injuries, these men were passionate about the sport and loved coming alongside their friends to play basketball. There were extreme examples of sportsmanship shown when someone would score a point, and everyone would rush to help if someone got knocked over in their chair. I truly felt welcomed into their practice and was given the opportunity to ask if I had any questions at all. After their practice ended, each player offered up their basketball wheelchair for me and my classmates to try it out. They really made it look easy! It was so hard to control the wheelchair, and I had extreme difficulty propelling myself fast and handling the basketball. The men of the Memphis Rolling Grizzlies are truly gifted in what they do.

My whole take-away from this experience is that I should not look down on someone who is disabled. I shouldn't belittle them or think that because they are disabled that they are unable to do anything. I shouldn't automatically think they are weak or fragile- some of the men on the team are stronger than I will ever be. As a future occupational therapist, it's important I help find things that those struggling with disabilities truly adore. I need to find the things that are meaningful to my client and bring them joy. I can help my clients adapt and do the things they want and love to do. It was important for me to see the Memphis Rolling Grizzlies because it changed my perspective on just how much someone who is in a wheelchair can accomplish if they are doing what they love. I hope one day to see the Memphis Rolling Grizzlies in action again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment