Friday, June 1, 2018

Media Project - The Adaptive Zippering Board



           “The Adaptive Zippering Board”
            The media project was one of my favorite assignments of occupational therapy school to date. This project gave me the freedom to really use my developing OT brain to create an intervention for a client in need. One of the most significant things I learned from this assignment is that it is not always easy tailoring an intervention to someone with a specific diagnosis. Before I decided to create the Adaptive Zippering Board, I had several other ideas using zip ties that I thought would be great, but none of those were applicable to my client and the things that he found meaningful. One of the major pillars in occupational therapy is client-centeredness, so it is imperative as an OT to make sure that the interventions I assign to the client are functional and relative to the client’s wants and needs.
            Although my client is fictional, I feel like I really grasped and mastered the purpose of the “just-right challenge” through my innovation. The Adaptive Zippering Board and the adaptive clothing I have provided allows three different grades of the intervention that could be tailored to my client as he improves in therapy. For example, at his lowest level of functionality, my client should complete the adaptive zippering board using the zippers with the zip ties. As that task becomes easy for him to complete, he can move on to using the zippers on the Adaptive Zippering Board that do not have the zip ties. After this has been mastered, my client can put on the clothing with adaptive zip ties zippers and practice his dressing. Once this is done, the client can begin working on dressing independently with no adaptations. This project definitely challenged my creativity - both artistically in the way I designed my board and mentally as I thought of the perfect intervention for my client using the medium I was assigned.
            This assignment has impacted me by giving me incredible insight as to what my future as an OT will look like. I will be using my creativity to create and implement interventions that are meaningful to my client in order to help them get back to the activities they like to do in their everyday life. Projects like this make me fall more in love with the profession of occupational therapy and increase my confidence that OT  is the perfect fit for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment